The Texas Wagyu Association (“TWA”) is pleased and excited to announce the 1st Annual TWA Wagyu Steer Carcass Competition.
The first competition is scheduled for April 2019 and will be coordinated with steers shown in the 2018 Houston Livestock Show (the “HLSR”). Further details will be released in the near future but to help potential exhibitors plan, the basics are as follows:
- Steers will be DNA parent verified with a minimum of sire verification.
- Steers must be registered with the American Wagyu Association (the “AWA”).
- Exhibitors must be in good standing with both the AWA and the TWA.
- Birth dates for fullblood and purebred steers must be between 8/1/2016 to 12/1/2016 to result in live show ages of 16 to 20 months when shown at the 2018 HLSR, and mature slaughter age of 28 to 32 months of age on 4/1/2019.
- Birth dates for percentage Wagyu steers (50%+ Wagyu) must be between 2/1/2017 and 6/1/2017 for live show ages of 10 to 14 months when shown at the 2018 HLSR, with mature slaughter age of 22 to 26 months age on 4/1/2019.
- All steers that enter into the Carcass Competition will be required to be validated.
Exhibitors have the following options:
- They can show the steer(s) in the 2018 HLSR prior to the Carcass Competition.
- They can enter the steer(s) into the Carcass Competition only, without showing the steer(s) in the 2018 HLSR.
- They can show the steer(s) in the 2018 HLSR and also enter the steers into the Carcass Competition.
The HLSR/TWA Wagyu show steer class rules for steer ages will not change for 2018. However, steers shown in the 2018 HLSR that do not fit the age requirements for the carcass competition will not be eligible for the 2019 carcass competition because of the need to maintain a short age window for the steers in the Carcass Competition. In future years, the age requirements for the TWA HLSR Wagyu steer show and the Carcass Competition will be the same.
This is an exciting step forward for the Wagyu breed! Watch your emails from the TWA for more details to come!